Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

This week our Adult Sunday school started to read Case for the Creator. So far it seems interesting. It is taking a non believer who is a journalist named Lee Strobel who set out to prove there is no God, only to come to the end of that journey and become a believer. It takes a look at science and how it CAN be compatible to Christian beliefs.

In a world and generation that expects instant gratification and proof positive the idea of faith can be elusive. I find most often that the journey of faith last a life time and if we are lucky somewhere along the way we allow the Holy Spirit to take us in and find not just comfort but hope.

The Triumphs of Faith

1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the men of old gained approval. 3 By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. (New American Standard)
Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows that Hebrews 11:1 is one of my favorite bible verses. Although different bible formats say it a bit differently it is all about the hope. Hope based on faith and faith alone.

When studying a book like Strobel's I find confidence in my faith journey, walk if you will. It is like I see all through the words of this verse from Hebrews. I believe that through faith in God we have hope... and hope can be unmeasurable.

He holds me and keeps me. I know that because I belong to Him that I can hope for tomorrow, even if that tomorrow should be in His Heaven. With God I am able to say I have sacred worth and value beyond human measure. This in itself means I am a treasure to God. Unique, like no other but loved like many. For all my tomorrows which may be loaded with pain and sorry I can still see a light on the other side.

One question that came up during the study is how do you impart this hope, this faith. I maintain that I cannot. I fully expect that any transformation in a persons soul comes through the Holy Spirit. I may be a vehicle in which the Holy Spirit may find an opening but the credit goes to Him.

The first thing I do when this comes up is pray. I pray that the Holy Spirit descends upon them. I pray that my words may find some one curious and fill them with a sense of wonder. Who is that chicky-poo over there that smiles and laughs even through tragedy. Who is that woman who listens with her heart and mind and comforts one even in the most difficult of times. Who is that daughter of Abraham who never takes the world serious enough that it leaves no room for a Heaven.

Yes, I live in the shadow of hope and pray daily for faith. Can we give or even explain our faith to a non believer. On my own I would say no. No words could be that powerful to touch the soul. This takes a Divine intervention. I have to convey that to whom ever shall ask. They would have to know that if there comes a time that they have found God it was because of His intervention and not me. I am nothing special in the eyes of another person, but through the eyes of God, we are all special.

There have been times I have prayed for non believers. To let God engulf them, hold them. Sometimes it has happened in a time that I can witness, but, more often it will happen when I don't know of it. Maybe that is the way it is suppose to be, least we get ahead of ourselves and forget to give credit where credit is due.

These are just a few opening thoughts about this study. I am sure I will have more. Meantime I am praying that all those who are questioning, seeking, wanting so badly to have faith and hope...I pray that the Holy Spirit shall visit you and a meaningful and moving way.

No comments:

Post a Comment