Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Let the birthdays stop!

Ok, I am now almost in my mid 50's. I don't feel that old, I don't act that old, my face isn't that old. BUT, the body sure is!

As I celebrate my birthday this week I have decided that the birthdays have to stop. I have always been one that has never been caught up in age. In fact I rarely can remember how old I am. I am always saying I am a year older, or younger. Not that I am trying to hide (or ahem... improve) my age it is just I don't really care.

I can remember waiting on the horrors of turning 40 and then 50.... well, it just didn't happen. I have not had any midlife crisis, no depression, no brooding about what hasn't been done in my life. Truth is I am happy right where I am. I have always used the "practice of contentment" (I am sure I will write on this at another time in my other blog called A Time and Season) so I can honestly say in the past 20 years, life has been pretty darn good.

Now, that is not to say there has not been pain, sorrow and a ton of other heart breaking times. But, when looking at the whole picture I can really say I am blessed and mean it.

So, when I woke up this morning I decided trying to remember my age was just a waste of my time and I always had to ask my husband Chris! He, does seem to care so he is in the know. We are seven months apart, but born in the same year.

At Christmas I declared to the family that they no longer had to buy birthday gifts. Although, because the family only celebrates the birthdays twice a year my birthday was very often a month later it's actual date. It just seems a little weird celebrating so far off. It is also a time when there is nothing that I want of value is something that one can buy. I want peace, joy, happiness.... Well, let me say plan to make a memory with me....now that I can get into. Making memories with family is special.

I would love just to get together for the SAKE of getting together. No purpose (as a birthday). That would be even more special!

So next year if you ask me how old I am, I still will not remember and I will say I have stopped the birthdays. Not for the reason you might think, but because being special is an every day event for me. I am loved. Now that is something to celebrate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment