Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Christmas Tree and 'Till the Season Comes 'Round Again

**
*

One of my all time favorite Christmas Albums is an oldie.  Kenny Rogers “The Gift”  The songs that were on that CD resonated with me to an incredible extent.  It contained songs of faith, joy and change.  It was the first time I heard some new classics.  “Mary did you Know” and “Till the Season Comes ‘Round Again”.  That particular CD was filled with songs of grace that just took me to a closer walk with God.

I came to focus on 'Till the Season Comes 'Round Again because for several years I had been in what I call “Christmas mourning”.  My family had all passed.  I had a niece, who I still maintained a good relationship with, but at that time she was busy with her own life, which is the way it should be. Then I remember an incident from several years prior that reminds me about the beauty and blessing of Christmas.

Christmas had always been my fathers time.  When he died, when I was junior in high school (in March), my mother and last living brother decided they would not celebrate Christmas.  I was a 17 year old girl who knew the greatest gift my father gave me was the wonder and beauty of Christmas.  But, I was a child.  How could I reconcile the wishes of my mother?  One evening both my brother and mother were out.  I was filled.  Filled with the love of a father who had always made me feel loved and cherished.  I was filled with conviction suddenly, I now know was the Holy Spirit was moving in me.

I am a pretty small gal.  I have a form of dwarfism which makes me a little over 4 feet.  How was I going to get the Christmas tree (artificial) was sitting in pieces on top of a freezer in the cellar.  We had a split level home at the time and can you say stairs?  Well, with power I cannot comprehend, I got the tree down.  I wrestled this seven foot box up those stairs.  I then went about putting the tree together.  Getting the boxes of decorations was a lot easier task.  Now, I am not real great with the top of the tree decorating.  For obvious reasons I could climb a ladder, but with shorten limbs leaning into a 6 foot tree could topple me pretty easy.

After a half hour, the tree was assembled, except the task of putting on the top.  I had hung ornaments and strung lights to the first two pieces, bringing me to the top part which was about as tall as me.  What I did was decorate the top, while it was on the floor.  I uprighted it and including the star I decorated that top part just like a small tree.  Now, the hard part......  getting a fully decorated top picked up and placed on the now finished base.  Suddenly I felt like the Grinch when he get’s the blessing of feeling his heart grow three times its own size, along with the strength as well.  One big heave and a prayer said, the top placed almost as if one was guiding me (One was).

I tucked the extra lights (had to leave quite a few to facilitate the decorating I just did).  I threw tinsel to the top and decorated the rest.  I pushed the base back into the place in front of the bank of windows in the front.  I continued to place the candles in the windows.

I do have to say I was exhausted.  Since, I have never done such a physically difficult thing.  Can I tell you I was amazed at myself?  I think I was!

About an hour later both my mother and brother came home.  By now it was dark and the lights could be seen from the outside.  As my mother came up the stairs she just stared.  David was to come in very shortly after.  After a lot of questions on how I did this or that (and a bit of relief there was no hostility) I made this comment (and I can remember it to this day, over thirty days later)..... “Dad loved Christmas, the best way to honor him is to keep it”.  Neither said anything.  Smiles came to the faces gradually.  To this day, because I didn’t question them, I don’t know if they were okay with this because of me or because of dad.  Or, maybe it was because it was obvious something supernatural was there for me to be able to accomplish this.  It became a quiet understanding that we would never not celebrate Christmas.  Christmas was bigger than the sum of our depression, loss and maybe even anger.  My father knew it was special on so many levels maybe now we could too.

It is now a sweet memory.  Mom and David have long passed.  Even when David passed on a December day years later, I knew I would celebrate for different reasons....because the birth of a Babe.  I had come far in my spiritual walk.  Although sadden, I did celebrate.  Not that it was easy, but it was what it is:  A time to remember and appreciate.

So, here I come now to the song.... It was the lines 'Til the next time I see you again, If we must say goodbye Let the spirit go with you And we'll love and we'll laugh In the time that we had 'Til the season comes 'round again.

Appreciate your life, your family.  Each day does not guarantee a tomorrow.  But, if you have lost those whom you love, remember that you will love and laugh again....when the “season” (your reunion in Heaven) comes ‘round again.


This song has been recorded by many, Amy Grant has a lovely version, but Kenny Rogers version will always remain special in my heart.  Let it find a place in your heart too!


'Till the Season Comes 'Round Again

Come and gather around at the table
In the spirit of family and friends
And we'll all join hands and remember this moment
'Til the season comes 'round again

Let's all try to smile for the picture
And we'll hold it as long as we can
May it carry us through
Should we ever get lonely
'Til the season comes 'round again

CHORUS
One night holy and bright
Shining with love from our hearts
By a warm fire,
Let's lift our heads high
And be thankful we're here
'Til this time next year

May the new year be blessed
With good tidings
'Til the next time I see you again
If we must say goodbye
Let the spirit go with you
'Til the season comes 'round again

CHORUS

May the new year be blessed with good tidings
'Til the next time I see you again
If we must say goodbye
Let the spirit go with you
And we'll love and we'll laugh
In the time that we had
'Til the season comes 'round again

**

*

1 comment:

  1. This was such a touching post. It was truly deep and filled with emotion. I treasure the song you mentioned, "Til the Season Comes Round Again". I cry every time I hear it. It is so precious to listen to all those special words and remember loved ones.

    I loved reading about your determination in putting up the Christmas tree. God bless you for it and for always remembering the true reason for Christmas day!

    May His Light always shine through you!

    ReplyDelete