Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 10, 2010

Come to the Table

Well, it is finished.  I have just completed (along with a great committee) the cookbook for our church.  It is 750 recipes and was a venture of love!

We went into this last January and with hopes of having 400 recipes, but our church rallied and we have a wonderful cookbook to show for it.  Now, let's hope it get's here in time for our church fair.

One of the many things that came out of this was the title, "Come to the Table".  Well, that phrase is often used by my pastor and has come to mean so many things to our congregation.

Come to the Table...to eat, to feed, to refresh, to fellowship, to nourish, to experience, to share, to pray.

It has become a phrase of inclusion on every level.  The basic most primal thing a human being needs to do is eat.  But, to nourish is truly not "living by bread alone".

So many times church communities turn toward each other, and no other.  It happens so frequently you may not notice.  And that is sad...not noticing.  The person who sits next to you may be in pain and anguish and you may not notice.  You have not "invited" them to share of your food, your company or your journey with Jesus?

This weekend marks the beginning of the new Church School year.  With it comes an open invitation to "Come to the Table".  Experience what it is like to be part of a community of people who will come to care for you.

Or, even better ask someone to Come to the Table at your place.  Share your life with them, open your heart to them. 

We remember that Christ ate with the sinner and the saint.  He came to save and we can assist. 

Something wonderful happens when you break bread with someone.  Because it is very primal, it becomes something of remembered memory.

In our church cookbook there is a scripture page in the beginning.  I find that these verses are a good way to remember what it means to "feed" and bring the table to another.

Matthew 25:31-40

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'



So, there.  Come to the Table, even better if you have partaken of the table, bring another.  It is only when we do this that we can truly know the character and love of Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment