Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 19, 2010

Teaspoons in the Morning

I am making my morning coffee, thanking each blessed day for my Keurig one cup coffee machine. Beside my machine is a cup that has several old silver teaspoons, in various designs. Some spoons are a little chunky, some graceful, some just wonderfully elegant. I’ve gotten the spoons over on Ebay and in antique shops. I give them a place of honor in a clear glass Irish coffee mug and use them when I make my coffee each morning.

Can I say now that Hubby doesn’t understand? “We have plenty of teaspoons in this house! Remember all the ”extra“ ones you got to go with the set?” Well, that is true. Mom always said she would loose more spoons than anything else in silverware and so drilled it inside my head that even if you had a complete set of utensils for eight, you needed at least eight more teaspoons. Mom and dad drank a lot of coffee. I would bet that many of those spoons ended up in my dads tool box. Had she only looked... I digress.

I lead many woman’s Bible Study and I often tell them that they are special. They are of not just worth, but sacred worth. It is hard to feel that sometimes when you have one child screaming in the background as you are trying to put dinner together after a grueling day at work. It is hard to feel worthy sometimes, never mind sacred. It is times like this that I encourage them to find something that makes them feel unique. It takes time sometimes to find that. Maybe it is 10 minutes alone on an exercise bike, or a stroll in the garden outside your own house. For me, one of those reminders are my antique silver spoons.

From another era, they have history. I sit sometimes and wonder who’s history I am sharing as I stir my coffee. But, most times I remember these are God moments. Moments he is telling me I am worthy of a special time and moment, each and every day, each and every hour.

So my husband does moan a bit when he see’s a box from ebay come into the house (I’ve gotten use to that, I love old cookbooks too!), or that I spend 15 minutes to see if there is a spoon “speaking” to me at an antique shop. These are moments that I become open to something wonderful...a treasure even. In an antique silver teaspoon I see God working in me. Although I sometimes think my husband pretends to bemoan it all, he does under stand on some level that I am worth it.

Searching for those God moments can be difficult because we can often look for the grandiose, when where we should be looking is in the mundane. The moments that encompass our every day lives. That, is where we find grace easily, we only just look.

As for my husband; he still groans, when I say that the spoons need to be hand washed gently and returned to their spot for me to grab with my next cup of coffee. But, even he must admit that in those moments he does it for me, he does it for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment